I regularly make healthy gummies for my kids because they are a great way to get them eating healthy snacks, instead of sugar-laden chemical junk that they sell at the stores. I add fresh squeezed juices, kombucha, and sea salt to them to enhance their nutritional content. This week my kiddos were looking like they might be coming down with something, and they were not sleeping very well to boot! So I wanted to come up with something to help them sleep and boost their immune system. I whipped up some tart cherry and elderberry gummies!
Here is why this recipe works:
Tart cherries: Studies have shown that tart cherries have a sleep enhancing effect on the body!
“A glass or two of tart cherry juice before bedtime may improve sleep, suggest results from a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial”
“Tart cherry juice concentrate provides an increase in exogenous melatonin that is beneficial in improving sleep duration and might be of benefit in managing disturbed sleep”
Gelatin: Gelatin also helps promote sleep. Learn how amazing gelatin is for your health HERE
“Gelatin contains a high percentage of glycine, a non-essential amino acid and inhibitory neurotransmitter, which is known to decrease anxiety and to promote restorative sleep”
Elderberry syrup: immune enhancing and protective against colds and flu. Get my recipe for Elderberry syrup HERE
“The bioflavonoids in elderberry syrup boost the body’s immune system by increasing antioxidant levels and viruses that damage cell walls. A daily dose can assist you in preventing both acute and chronic disease.”
Raw Honey: Honey had been shown to be anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal. It has been used medicinally for thousands of years. If you really wanted to step up your game, you could use Manuka honey! — find it here
So there you have it! These little gems should help the kiddos get the restorative sleep they need when fighting an illness and the immune boosting properties of the elderberries. Winning! Here is how to make them….
- 1 1/4 cup tart cherry juice — where to find
- 4 Tbsp unflavored gelatin — where to find
- 1/4 cup Elderberry syrup — get the recipe here
- 2 Tbsp raw honey — where to find
- Heat 1/2 cup of juice until bubbling
- In a glass jar combine gelatin and heated juice, stir briskly to dissolve gelatin
- In a medium bowl combine all of the ingredients and whisk until well combined. (Note: do not use honey in this recipe if you plan to share these gummies with anyone under the age of one year)
- Pour into molds — like these
- Put molds into refrigerator until set, at least one hour
If you want to learn more about the health benefits of gelatin, my friend Sylvie wrote an entire book on the subject. You will be amazed at the healing powers of gelatin!!! Check it out HERE.